There are great things about being a commuter student, especially on a campus that has such a welcoming community, surrounded by Benedictine hospitality. There are a few tips I have for current and future commuter students which I think help in ensuring you have the best commuting experience possible!
- Go to campus programs and events! Campus events and programs are designed for students all across the community to go to. Whether the event is a craft night, comedy act, or even just a low key movie night, there are campus programs that appeal to everyone throughout the semester, and the best part is that, most of them are free! Campus Life works hard to schedule events at convenient times, even creating events that happen twice in the day, to make sure you’re able to find a time to go. At these events you can connect with other students (commuters or residents), sometimes catch a free snack, and get a small gap of stress relief from studying and homework.
- Monthly commuter lunch – The first Wednesday of every month Campus Life hosts commuter lunch in the TUB from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. This is a free meal for commuters to enjoy and to connect with other commuters and to learn more about the resources offered to commuters on campus. The best part is the raffle! Every student who attends gets entered to win a prize, either a gas gift card, or the commuter of the month parking spot, which is conveniently located in the Harned Hall staff parking lot.
- The T.U.B. The Trautman Union Building is the hub for commuter hang out! With free coffee, a kitchenette, study areas, ping pong, pool, foosball, discounted movie tickets, and even lockers, the T.U.B. has everything that commuters need to be successful! Utilize your resources, you won’t regret it!
- Spend as much time on campus as possible – Maybe the best tip I have, spend as much time on campus that you can. Study on campus, go to events, hang out with your friends, just have fun! College is a lot of work, so make sure to have fun while you’re at it. Saint Martin’s is your home away from home. If you need to stay on campus with a friend for a night, fill out a guest pass and you’re good to go!
- The Commuter Lounge – If you find yourself in Old Main and need to take a minute to study, heat up some lunch, or just need a little downtime, then head up to the fourth floor. In the science wing of the 4th floor, the commuter lounge has a kitchenette, a study area, and a few couches — everything you need to relax between classes!
Saint Martin’s is very dedicated to ensuring commuter students have a well-rounded college experience while simultaneously making sure all commuter students are having all of their needs met. If you ever need to talk about increasing commuter resources, be sure to talk to the Senator of Commuter Students, Melissa Rosscup, who is here to answer any questions involving commuting. Go Saints!